The Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) is responsible for all food safety in New Zealand. MPI advised the Ministry of Education of a threat to contaminate infant formula with 1080 poison.
MPI wish to reassure parents and caregivers of the following:
* MPI is confident that New Zealand infant formula is as safe today as it was before the threat.
* Parents and caregivers should use it as they always have. No contamination has been detected in the over 40,000 batches of infant formula tested by MPI since the threat was received in November 2014. These tests will continue.
* Parents and caregivers should always check all food packaging, including that for infant formula, for signs of tampering. MPI has a leaflet on how to check for this. It can be found at: http://www.mpi.govt.nz or in your local supermarket.
* Supermarkets have put in place additional security measures around infant formula following the threat.
* If parents or caregivers have any questions, they can all Plunketline 0800 933922 or if you are concerned about a baby's health, call the Healthline 0800 611 116 or visit the doctor.
* If parents or caregivers have any serious concerns about a child's health, they should call 111.
For further information, you can read the media releases put out by New Zealand Police and MPIs this afternoon.
* Media Release Police<http://govt.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2f59fcd18a691d315b5a045cb&id=d921429d5d&e=da623fbfd2>